Top 25 Minnesota
Veteran Owned



     What can you do if you disagree how the county has valued or classified your property? First, you may contact your assessor to attempt to resolve your issue. If you are unable to resolve the issue then you may appeal to the Local Board of Appeal and Equalization or attend an Open Book meeting as stated in your property valuation notice. You have the right to appeal the estimate of the market value or property classification if you believe your property is classified improperly, valued at a higher amount from what you could sell your property for, or valued at a level different from similar property in your area.

     If you are not satisfied with the results of the Local Board of Appeal and Equalization or Open Book meeting, then you may appeal to the County Board of Appeal and Equalization. Further, you have the right to appeal your assessment to the Minnesota Tax Court.

     There are deadline dates to pursue the review or appeal of your assessment and you are limited in the years for which you may challenge the property valuation or assessment. In addition, it may be necessary for you to obtain an appraisal of the property and to allow the county assessor to inspect your property.

     It may be beneficial to engage the services of an attorney to represent you in your property tax appeal. Given deadline dates and the legal process involved it is important that your case is timely and properly presented. Attorney Steven Opheim of Dudley and Smith, P.A. practices in this area and has successfully represented owners of residential and commercial property in appeals of property tax valuation cases. In one case Steven Opheim represented the owners of commercial property valued at over $1 million and he was able to obtain a significant reduction in the tax assessed value of the property.

Dudley and Smith, P.A. has offices located in Saint Paul, Woodbury, Blaine, Bloomington, White Bear Lake, Chanhassen, and Burnsville. Please call at 651-291-1717 to discuss your case.