Top 25 Minnesota
Veteran Owned



I was injured in a car accident that was not my fault, who pays my medical expenses?

You may be surprised to hear that under Minnesota law, typically, your own automobile insurance company pays your medical expenses if you are injured in an automobile accident regardless of fault.  These
benefits are called no-fault or Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits.  There are exceptions to this general rule so it is best to contact an attorney before applying for no-fault benefits.

But won’t that affect my insurance premiums if I make a claim for no-fault benefits?

No, Minnesota car insurance providers cannot increase your insurance rates when you make a no-fault claim, unless you are found to be over 50% at-fault.  Minn. Stat. 72A.20 (2011), subdivision 23.

What medical expenses benefits are available to me following an automobile accident?

No-fault insurance covers “reasonable and necessary” medical expenses that are related to treatment for injuries you sustained in an accident.  The minimum coverage for medical expenses in Minnesota is $20,000.  However, if you “stacked” multiple policies you may have more coverage.

Medical expense benefits include:

(1)        Medical, surgical, x-ray, optical, dental, chiropractic, and rehabilitative services, including prosthetic devices;

(2)        Prescription medications,

(3)        Transportation expenses incurred to go to covered medical appointments;

(4)        Sign interpreting and language translation services used for medical, surgical, x-ray, optical, dental, chiropractic, hospital, extended care, nursing, and rehabilitative services; and

(5)        Hospital, extended care, and nursing services.

Medical equipment is typically not coverage by your no-fault benefits.

What if I have more than $20,000.00 in medical expenses related to the injuries I received in an automobile accident?

Medical bills or related expenses that are not covered by your no-fault benefits can be submitted to your health insurance for consideration.

Minnesota automobile insurance law is very complex.  You should consult an attorney if you have been injured in an automobile accident to help you understand all available benefits.

This post was created by Katherine A. Brown Holmen, an auto accident and personal injury attorney at Dudley and Smith, P.A.  If you have questions about a car accident or other issues involving injuries, please contact me at 651-291-1717 or by email at  I have practiced personal injury law for over 20 years and would be happy discuss the intricacies of this cause of action with you.  Dudley and Smith, P.A. is a full service law firm with offices in St. Paul, Bloomington, Burnsville, Chanhassen, and Woodbury.

The law is continually evolving and Dudley and Smith, P.A.’s blog posts should not be relied upon as legal advice, nor construed as a form of attorney-client relationship. Postings are for informational purposes and are not solicitations, legal advice, or tax advice. A viewer of Dudley and Smith, P.A.’s blog should not rely upon any information in the blog without seeking legal counsel.